Alright, time for some predictions. I didn’t so so badly last time, let’s see how I do with the final installment. Few of these ideas are my own, I’m just endorsing the one’s I think are correct.
- Who is R.A.B.? Regulus Black, of course. I was somewhat proud of myself for figuring this out while reading Book 6 when it came out. The real question is whether he is actually dead. JK said he is, but I’m not 100% sure since she always said “we wouldn’t be hearing anything from him” and we did. I’m going with “dead” but keeping an open mind.
- Hogwarts will re-open. Harry needs it for a base of operations.
- “Deathly Hallows” refers to the Horcruxes.
Horcruxes (beside the Diary and the Ring — leaving 4)
- The locket; well I guess we know that already. My real prediction is that it’s still in Grimauld place and that Mundungus Fletcher was (like the cleaning crew) unable to remove it. Oh, and also we find out the Kreacher helped Regulus get the locket in the first place.
- Hufflepuff’s goblet. Certainly Voldemort prized it enough to kill for it. But where is it hidden? Juding from the book cover, I’m going to guess that it’s hidden amongst tons of treasure.
- Harry. Harry (or his scar) is a horcrux. Chicklet passed along a hint that Harry might be descendent from Godric Gryffindor (on Lily’s side!) — check out his green eyes. So, Harry would count as “something of Gryffindor’s”.
- And the last Horcrux omething of Ravenclaw’s? Unfortunately, JK has not made Rowena “Wizard of the Month” yet (check back in August)…so we really don’t have a clue as to what the horcux might be. Well, I’m sure we have “clues”, and from all the rumors, I’m going with “wand.” Maybe Olivander has it? Maybe Voldemort will use it to fight Harry to avoid Priori Incantatem?
- One more note: the invisibility cloak was passed down to Harry from James who got it from his father. JK wants us to note that Dumbledore specifically retrieve the cloak from the house the night Harry’s parents were murdered. I think Voldemort may have been trying to use the cloak as a horcrux…could it be that Harry is related to GG on both sides of his family? (Well, almost assuredly not, I’m just hedging here). Plus, Dumbledore mentions the sword in his office as GG’s only relic, so the cloak was probably never GG’s. I’ll stick with the cloak-as-wannabe-horcrux prediction though.
The Big Questions
- Snape is good. The overarching story lines of the series has been mistrust of Snape which then turns out to be misguided. After re-reading HBP, and noting the anguish on Snape’s face after he…does the unspeakable action…I think Dumbledore sacrificed himself so that Snape could get deeper inside Voldemort’s circle.
- Harry defeats Voldemort. More on that below.
- Sirius’s mirror. Going waaaaay out on a limb, I think Regulus may have embedded instructions for finding/destroying the horcux in the mirror.
- Sirius’s motorcycle. We’ll find out that its engine somehow became a part of Mr. Weasley’s Ford Anglia.
- James & Lilly Potter. We still don’t know what they did for a living, and I think JK said that we’d find out in this book. I think Lilly was a healer at St. Mungo’s, given that she cared so much about everyone, even annoying acquaintances like Severus. Plus, her potions and charms knowledge would come in quite handy. At this point, I don’t have a concrete prediction on James’ short career.
- Petunia. I think the biggest revalation with her is that her family is not completely Muggle. Or something like that. If, as JK says, Petunia will never do magic, then what could her big secret be? On this one, I’m stumped.
- Mrs. Figg. With Petunia out of the way, that leaves Mrs. Figg as the most likely elderly character to “do magic late in life” (as JK said would happen).
- Dudley. We’ll learn what he “saw” when he faced the Dementors.
- Fawkes. Either Dumbledore left him to Harry, or Harry’s loyalty and bravery will call Fawkes back to him.
- McGonagall. Will live and get to be Headmistriss for more than one year.
- Percy. Still a git, but a living git.
- Luna. Will live and become editor of the Quibbler.
- Fred and George. Live and successfully continue their joke shop (including branches in Hogsmead and France).
- Tonks and Lupin. Enjoy a few months of bliss together before they both die fighting Death Eaters.
- Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Both live (because I want them to?). They’ll have gone through enough (see below…).
- Wormtail. About as dead as you can possibly get! But first he repays the life debt he owes Harry.
- Neville and Bellatrix. Neville finally comes into his own! He doesn’t kill Bella, as there are “fates worse than death.” This fight will be “to the pain” and (I really hope) Neville leaves Ms. Lestrange “wallowing in freakish missery forever.” Oh, and then goes on to become a magical gardener :)
- Hagrid. I think this Hagrid will be the “fake big death”. It’s really hard to kill Hagrid, and I think it’ll appear he’s dead before he resurges back to life.
- Draco. Either he or his father dies at the hands of YNH. Maybe Voldemort lets ‘Cissa pick. Draco is a bit more accessible at the moment, so I’m guessing he bites the dust.
- Snape. Turns out to be good, and actually saves the day by protecting the trio/quartet from Voldemort’s worst. Snape then weakens Voldemort so Harry can finish the Dark Lord off, sacrificing himself in the process.
- Voldemort. Vanquished by a power he knows not….love. Just don’t ask me exactly how that one’s going to work.
- Ginny. Does not start accompanying Harry on his adventures until after Christmas. She then goes off to join a quidditch team and lives happily ever after with Harry.
- Hermione. Lives and becomes Headmistress of Hogwarts. Serves the school well for many decades.
- Ron. Dead. It sucks, but I think it’s going to happen. Very sad for everyone all around.
- Harry. I don’t think he actually kills Voldemort — I think he might trick Voldemort so that YKW kills himself or really fouls up and ends up dying “by accident”. Anyway, Harry lives and becomes Head Auror, rounding up bad folk left and right.
Soon it will be all over. Que triste. What a great run. Of course HP will “only be gone when none are loyal to” the series. Thankfully, and this is one prediction I’m sure of, that will never happen. :-)